Civil Court – Filing Court Documents
Phone: (415) 444-7040
Location: Civic Center, Hall of Justice, Room 113
Office Hours: 8:00am - 4:00pm

Procedure for Filing Court Documents

  • Take the original plus at least two (2) copies of your documents to room 113 of the Marin Civic Center between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. For new cases, make sure to arrive prior to 3:30 p.m. The clerk will keep the original documents for the court file and file-stamp and return your copies. You may make more copies of the file-stamped documents if you need them. It is important to keep file-stamped copies for your records.

  • Be sure that all original documents have two (2) punched holes centered at the top of each page and that all documents (original and copies) are stapled and collated.

  • Certain documents (such as Fee Waivers, Orders and Judgments) may not be filed until signed by a judge. When submitting those documents, you must provide the clerk with a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like them mailed to you after they are filed. If you do not provide an envelope, your documents will be placed in the “Will-Call” box at the Clerk’s Office. It’s a good idea to bring extra envelopes and postage with you when filing.

  • Make sure to put your case number on your paperwork. If you are starting a case, you will not have a case number yet. Each case is assigned a case number after the initial filing. There is only one number per case, so it should be used by all parties regardless of whether you are the petitioner or the respondent. If you have several cases, make sure you have the right case number for the papers you are filing.

  • If you are not using Judicial Council forms, make sure that your pleadings follow all applicable formatting rules. See California Rules of Court, sections 2.100 to 2.119 or go to Legal Self Help Services for assistance.

  • Some courts also have local rules for filing. Some local rules require special cover sheets or local forms. The local rules for Marin County can be found at the court website by clicking here.

  • You must pay a fee to file certain types of documents and the fees must be paid at the time of filing. The fee schedule can be found at the court website by clicking here. If you are unable to pay the filing fee you may complete and submit a “Request to Waive Court Fees” (FW-001) and an “Order on Court Fee Waiver” (FW-003).