Small Claims How to Change a Small Claims Court Date Print this Page
Phone: (415) 444-7040
Location: Civic Center, Hall of Justice, Room 113
Office Hours: 8:00am - 4:00pm

A continuance is a request to change or postpone a court date

Continuances of court dates must be requested in writing at least ten (10) calendar days prior to the court date. The continuance may be requested by either party. The Court must receive the written request either in person or by mail, along with a continuance fee. Please see the Court's Filing Fee Schedule for the cost of the continuance request by clicking here. Make checks payable to Marin County Superior Court. A copy of the continuance request must be sent to all other parties in the case before being filed with the Court.

Only one continuance will be allowed for failure to file a Proof of Service. To obtain further continuances to serve the defendant(s), plaintiffs must appear in person on the hearing date to make the request before the judicial officer. If plaintiffs fail to appear for the hearing, the case will be dismissed.


Small Claims Court is a special type of civil proceeding which is commonly referred to as the "People's Court" because attorneys are not allowed to represent either side. The rules are relatively simple and the hearings are less formal. Parties in small claims actions can resolve their disputes relatively quickly and inexpensively. The person who files the claim is called the plaintiff and the person being sued is called the defendant.
Disclaimer: The Marin County Superior Court has made every effort to provide accurate information at this website; however, inaccuracies and outdated information may be found here on occasion.
External sites are responsible for their own content; the Marin County Superior Court accepts no responsibility for information found at other sites to which we are linked.